At Sacred Heart School, we aim to equip children with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft and design. Our high-quality art curriculum will inspire children to think innovatively and develop creative procedural understanding. It provides children with opportunities to develop their skills using a range of media and materials. Children learn the skills of drawing, painting, printing, collage, textiles, 3D work and digital art and are given the opportunity to explore and evaluate different creative ideas.
Our Art and Design Curriculum ensures that all pupils:
- produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences
- become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques
- evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design
- know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
Key stage 1
Pupils are taught:
- to use a range of materials creatively to design and make products
- to use drawing, painting and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination
- to develop a wide range of art and design techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space
- about the work of a range of artists, craft makers and designers, describing the differences and similarities between different practices and disciplines, and making links to their own work.
Key stage 2
Pupils are taught:
- to develop their techniques, including their control and their use of materials, with creativity, experimentation and an increasing awareness of different kinds of art, craft and design
- to create sketch books to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas
- to improve their mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials [for example, pencil, charcoal, paint, clay]
- about great artists, architects and designers in history.
|Programme of study||Autumn||Spring||Summer|
|Key Stage 1||Year A||Drawing||Printmaking||3D Art|
|Lower Juniors||Year A||Printmaking||3D Art||Drawing|
|Upper Juniors||Year A||3D Art||Drawing||Printmaking|
You will find further details about the Art currciulum in the Curriculum letters and the homework letters (currently home learning) .
These can be accessed by the link below:
For further information about the Art curriculum, please contact the school office on 01923 901179 or firstname.lastname@example.org.