We promote our faith at home through various practices and activities. Here are some common ways:
1. Prayer: Pupils take home a prayer bag which they can share with their family. In addition, we encourage pupils to share and engage in regular family prayer, such as saying grace before meals, praying the Rosary together, or having bedtime prayers. This helps children develop a habit of prayer and fosters a sense of spirituality within the family.
Pupils are taught different prayers in each year group as seen below.
2. Attending Mass: We encourage our children to attend Mass regularly. Our church is Sacred Heart of Jesus and St John the Evangelist, London Road, Bushey, WD23 1BA . Rev James McNicholas is the parish priest.
Sacred Heart of Jesus and St John the Evangelist Mass times are as follows:
|Friday||9.15 a.m. 9.45 a.m. Holy Hour|
|Saturday||Confession 11 a.m.-11.30 a.m. and 5 p.m.-5.30 p.m. – Mass at 6 p.m.|
|Sunday||8.30 a.m. , 10.30 a.m. & 6p.m.|
4. Scripture Reading: Reading and discussing Bible stories and passages is another way to promote faith at home. Therefore, the children will regularly read the scriptures as part of the children’s homework. Parents can help explain the lessons and moral values in the Bible, helping children understand and apply them.
5. Sacraments: Catholic families prepare their children for receiving sacraments like Baptism, First Communion, and Confirmation. This process involves teaching the significance of each sacrament and its role in their faith journey.
6. Service and Charity: Pupils learn about the importance of serving others and charity. Engaging in volunteer work, participating in community service projects, or supporting charitable organisations helps children understand the values of compassion, empathy, and social justice. The pupils support and organise a number of charities across the year.
7. Role Modelling: Parents play a crucial role in promoting faith at home by being role models of Catholic values and teachings. Living out the faith through actions, kindness, forgiveness, and love helps children see the practical application of their beliefs.